Monday, October 22, 2012

"Building a Server with FreeBSD 7" By Bryan Hong, 1st Edition.



Easy step by step instructions

I am not familiar with UNIX-like operating systems but after following this book step by step, I have gained so much knowledge then I could have ever imagined.  I was aware of applications like Samba, Lynx, Drupal, and some others but I never really knew what they did or their purpose.  Going through this book is one of the best decisions that I have made in my career to further my knowledge in the UNIX world.

The format for each chapter includes the summary of the application, requirements for installing the application, what preparations you will need to install the application, how to install the application, how to configure the application, how you can test the application to make sure you installed it properly, and etc.  Throughout all the chapters, the author uses this format which is nice.  The layout of the book is organized and pleasant to navigate through.  The author’s writing style is easy to understand and to the point.

If you want to know more about UNIX or if you have a spare computer lying around that you want to turn into a server, definitely invest in this book.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment